In November 2015, AF Bostäder inaugurated Vegalyckan, a result of a cooperation with Lundafastigheter. Here, preschool and elementary school are combined with new housing for up to 172 students.
There is a need for 20,000 new student housing units in Sweden. In order to provide good and sustainable student housing with a rent that the students can afford, solutions outside the box are required.
Just 1 km from Lund city center you can find Vegalyckan, right next to the popular housing area Studentlyckan. The environment is perfect for a student residence, secluded and quiet, lush and green with a park right next door.
- The municipality needed a new school and we needed student housing, says Kristina Bondesson, ex. Project Manager at AF Bostäder. By merging the municipality's plot with an unused part of Studentlyckan's plot and dividing the property three-dimensional, we got a really successful seal where we hit two flies in a bang.
Vegalyckan has a smoothly arched house in three and a half planes. The lower floor houses preschool and elementary school, and the upper floors are student housing. The school has entrances and playgrounds towards the park. The student residence has entrances, angling places and a sheltered patio on the street side. Soundproofing between the properties ensures that children and students do not disturb each other.
The project has focused on keeping down production costs without sacrificing quality. For example, all 110 bathrooms are prefabricated in Finland.
- Bathroom is a delicate quality, says Kristina Bondesson. Many moments should be performed by several people on a small surface. Here you often put a lot of resources in the final stage and the bathrooms easily become a bottleneck. Prefabrication is common in hotels and boats and the finished bathrooms are delivered quality-checked and sealed. They are easily put into place before water and electricity are plugged in. It feels safe to know that a Finnish robot mounted the tiles in peace and quiet.
More importantly, the completed accommodation will be comfortable and that the future management will work efficiently, something that is sometimes forgotten in connection with newbuilding.
- It is important that we who are managing construction projects always have in mind that the property will becoming a management asset one day, says Kristina Bondesson. The actual starting point of the property is when the students move in. Building must not be stacking bricks. Vegalyckan is not a product but a function that others will use and care for a very long time. Therefore, we are always looking forward to taking advantage of the views of top tenants and tenants from previous projects and older areas. School activities and students have completely different needs, but everything has gone as planned and everyday life is free from cultural crashes.
- I think everything works very well, says Johan Hägglöf, ex. caretaker at Vegalyckan. The house is well soundproofed, between the apartments and between the properties so that everyone gets a calm environment to study. The laundry rooms are clean and stylish thanks to our automatic laundry detergent systems. Here, there are great features for waste sorting and everyone has their own bicycle parking with sturdy poles and locks so you can keep your bike.
A welcome innovation is the new space-saving UWS - Underground Waste System - which hides all of the soap bins underground.
- With traditional waste disposal, the collectors run away to empty each container. At that time it often gets junk in the garbage room. The underground container is lifted and emptied directly into the truck and placed back with the same. In this way we get better order and higher well-being. We do not release trucks running around the area and it is also nice. Everything that is seen above the earth is classy, mailbox-like ink for different fractions.
Latest update May 15, 2017