Apartments for friends – lodger
Below are the basic facts that you should be aware of if you are moving in as a friend/lodger at AF Bostäder.
In recent years, AF Bostäder has built a large number of apartments for friends, i.e. apartments that are ideal for friends to share. The friends must be Lund students and members of Studentlund.
What is an apartment for friends?
An apartment for friends is a regular apartment. But, the unique aspect of an apartment for friends is that it is optimally adapted for friends to share. In most cases, 2-3 friends live together, but there are also larger apartments of this type that are shared by four friends. The bedrooms are equally good (including storage) and the friends share the kitchen and bathroom.
Whose name is on the contract?
AF Bostäder signs a contract with one Lund student (contracting party) who in turn rents out to one or more students (friends) depending on the size of the apartment. In a legal sense, the friends are living there as lodgers.
What are the rights of lodgers?
The regulations of the Tenancy Act relating to protection of tenancy rights do not apply to lodgers. If the shared accommodation arrangement does not work out for some reason, the friends can thus be compelled to move. If instead, it is the contracting party who is to move, the friends must also move. As a lodger, it may be possible to take over the contract – if the shared accommodation arrangement has existed for at least 18 months. In this case, an application for the transfer can be submitted to AF Bostäder.
Regarding the rent for an apartment for friends, the contracting party is fully responsible for fulfilling the contract with AF Bostäder. Friends therefore pay their share of the rent to the contracting party. If the apartment is for two friends, each should pay half the rent, in an apartment for three, each should pay one-third of the rent and so on.
The contracting party is responsible for the condition of the apartment regarding the contract with AF Bostäder. However, the friends who live together clearly have a joint responsibility for cleaning, waste sorting etc.
Only the contracting party can deal with certain matters
The contracting party needs to handle matters regarding the housing, such as:
- Booking laundry times via Your Pages: Friends can always book laundry times on the booking board using their key tags.
- Reporting faults via Your Pages.
- Housing information: The contracting party needs to inform the friends about important housing information, for example information in emails from AF Bostäder.
- Door phone: Certain door phones are connected to the contracting party’s mobile phone. In this case, it is only the contracting party who can open the entrance door via mobile phone.
- Rent payment reference: Only the contracting party can get a rent payment reference.